Saturday, June 4, 2011

Amish Magic Dough

The dough sat in a white plastic washbasin on the counter in six or more plastic bags with dates marked on them.  Amish dough - magic dough - it just kept rising in those bags.  Why so many bags I asked; I'm going to give some of the bags of dough to my friends she replied! I just watched the bags balloon up with air, and the dough rose bigger and bigger, filling the extra large plastic bags!  The deliveries were never made to her friends, but the dough did not care; it just kept expanding until the bags bulged with bubbly dough. An explosion was imminent!!!

Thursday, her day off - panic time! Dough deliveries had not been made! Up in the morning baking with her daughter until late afternoon. She was exhausted!!!  Pails and pails of cookies, counters full of banana loafs, vanilla pudding loafs, green pastacho loafs made when the vanilla pudding ran out, trayfuls of cinnamin buns (cake cinnamin buns, not bread cinnamin buns, I am told). Surely not as good as the ones my Mom used to make when I was a boy, but I have wolfed down two Amish cake dough cinnamin buns in the last 10 minutes! Only forty or so to go!!

My challenge - to get rid of those Amish cake dough loafs.  Uncle Gerry got one last night.  He appreciated receiving the loaf.  This afternoon I stopped by Mel and Nicole Goldade's for a visit and a cup of coffee, and I dropped off an Amish loaf! They were very appreciative.  Ron and Al O'Byrne were siding their cabin, so I stopped by, had a visit, and got rid of another loaf.  They were very appreciative.  Over to Bernie Bridgadier's cabin, had a chat, and give him a loaf.  He was very appreciative.  Just 3 more loafs in the truck to deliver, but by this time it was getting late in the afternoon. I decided to whom I would deliver the last 3 loafs tomorrow.  I know that they would appreciate even the green pastachio loafs!

This evening, I began cleaning off the kitchen counters.  Pails of cookies to the freezer for the grandchildren when they visit this summer.  Sealed plastic containers full of cake cinnamin buns.  Thankfully, only 3 Amish loafs left on the counter.  And what did I find on the counter once it was cleared of all the baking - a white plastic container filled with six plastic bags full of  Amish dough - magically, insidiously rising with a mind of its own, not caring that an explosion is imminent!!!!!

I know, I know . . . she's going to deliver the bags of Amish magic dough to her friends.  When is her next day off anyway?

1 comment:

  1. Darwyn.....sounds like you are enjoying your retirement! You and Cathy are such good cooks/bakers....lucky grandchildren and neighbors!!

    Jean and I are now Mémère and Pépère!! Celeste and Justin had Mila in January! What a wonderful role we have now! I was just at Celeste's and guess what we did....we made buns together with Mila standing watch! A tradition to pass on to future generations!

    Love your blog Darwyn...

    ReplyDelete