Friday, March 11, 2011

Chocolate Cake, Ice cream & Grandkids

I like chocolate cake, especially with ice cream and grandkids.  Wednesday evening Kathy, Uncle Gerry and I went to Denise and Mike's place for my birthday cake and ice cream. The grandkids and I pigged out!!  I had to help some of them with theirs.  Just one of the perks of being a grandpa!  Kathy and Denise took pictures of the cake with candles, not 61 of them, the grandkids, and me.  The grandkids blew out the candles, and luckily for me they all went out so I didn't have any girlfriends (try explaining that one to Kathy)!!!!!

I like presents too.  Kathy had already given me an electric drill as my charger for the old one gave up charging.  I think she has an ulterior motive as she wants a new deck built this summer for the natural gas barbeque and the new outdoor kitchen centre that she bought last year.  Uncle Gerry gave me a Nipawin Hawks hat that I have been wearing for the last two days.  Denise and Mike gave me a new book to read - James Patterson's The Book of Spies.  I must have it read before summer holidays as I know Denise and Andrea will be looking for it!

Shellen helped me open my card and presents from the grandkids.  The card read, "There is only one thing better than having a really cool grandpa . . . knowing that being cool runs in the family!"  Happy Bithday from Your Grandkids, and they signed the card with the best printing.  Now inside the birthday gift bag was a Saskatchewan Roughrider Air Freshener, a Canadian Wiggler fish hook and a metal licence plate with three stick people roasting hot dogs over an open fire and the saying, "It's all fun and games . . . until someone loses a weiner"  Now how cool is that!  You can be sure that it will be hanging on the woodshed by our firepit this summer!

When I got home that night I got a phone call from Moose Jaw, and a little voice sang Happy Birthday in French and then said, "Happy Birthday, Grandpa".  Soooo nice - - - thanks Cohen for your singing present!

Last weekend Uncle Bruce and Aunt Brenda were here and showed us pictures of David and Jesse's wedding in Mexico.  They brought gifts for Julian, Uncle Gerry and me - matching white T-shirts with a saying on the front which read, "Give a Man a Fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach a Man to Fish and he will sit in a boat and drink Beer all day. (Fish 24:7)  Now we have team fishing T-shirts!  I can hardly wait for spring fishing season to start!

Now you may think this blog is about gifts, grandkids, desserts, fishing, and me, and you might be right!  Oh heck, I admit it - you are TOTALLY right!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome blogging,Dad! I am glad I get to read about your birthday party. Love you, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't wait for summer toooooo!!! Campsites booked already! About that deck.... is it going to include a new hottub??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh the hot tub would be nice! happy birthday!!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darwyn....

    This is a great blog!! You made me laugh out loud a couple of times!! Miss all your stories from back in the day at L.P. I need to get one of those license plates for our place..too darn funny :)

    ReplyDelete