Monday, March 14, 2011

Daylight Saving Times Time

If any of you have visited us within the last couple of years or have been sitting around our campfire enjoying a hot dog and a pop, you are probably aware that Kathy has a very strong opinion about daylight saving time - she is in favor! DEFINITELY in favor!!!!!

Last night I was wanting to turn to a Saskatchewan news channel, but it was later than on the other channels.  I was quickly informed that other places had changed to daylight saving time but we had not!  I guess I had missed that daylight saving time had started on Sunday, March 13. 

Kathy went on to say that this year she was not "wasting her breath" talking about daylight saving time.  I guess the Premier is not having his referendum about the issue as he promised because most of the Saskatchewan people were in favor of leaving things as they were - no daylight savings time.  After questioning the brightness of the Saskatchewan people, and me specifically, and after "wasting her breath" for about 5 more minutes, the issue was closed so that she could just save her breath on that topic!

As a kid, we had daylight saving time.  I can remember twice a year getting up in the morning, and the family changing the clocks. It wasn't such a chore since there was one clock in the kitchen on the wall above the sink, a couple of wind-up alarm clocks in the bedrooms, and the watches on our arms. We actually had to pull out the stem on the side of the watch, spin the stem to change the time, push the stem back in, and then wind the stem to make sure the watch kept running!  The old saying to remember how to change to daylight saving time correctly was, "Spring ahead, fall behind".

To me, in the world of today, it would seem to be quite a chore to change a household twice a year to account for daylight savings time.  The microwave, the stove, the coffee maker, the breadmaker, the phones, the clocks on the walls, the TV and all its attachments, the electric alarm clocks in every bedroom, the vehicles, and many other gadgets have time displays.  And, most of them, have a different way of setting them!  For some people, like me, it almost seems overwhelming!  I have not mentioned to Kathy that this could be another reason for not having daylight saving time, just in case my brightness was questioned again!

This morning, when I got up, I went on the computer to check the temperature, and Kathy was having a shower.  On the weather network they have a daily poll - a survey.  The question for today was, Which province does not have daylight savings time? British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, or New Brunswick.  I could hardly wait for Kathy to come out of the shower to show her the poll.  Most people had chosen Saskatchewan.  After the poll results was the saying, "Spring Ahead", so I guess it is only an old saying in Saskatchewan.  When I showed her the poll, she could not believe that some of the people did not know the answer.  She did not "waste her breathe" discussing the merits of daylight saving time with me.  Perhaps she was just running late for work.

Anyway, I am sorry to inform you that Kathy will not be "wasting her breath" with her stories and arguments about daylight saving time this summer.  I know that you will all be disappointed.  She will just have to come up with some other topic with which to entertain us around the firepit!

3 comments:

  1. HA HA HA... she won't be "wasting her breath" again until those nights where it isn't dark until 11pm and the sun comes up at 4am... yep, it will be amazing if she can keep from wasting her breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dad for giving me a little more "ammmo" for mom.... Hee Hee! As you know I like to twist the knife a little, this "wasting her breath" is great material. I believe that the cows will still know when to give milk if the daylight savings time hit Saskatchewan. On the other hand, I hope mom doesn't waste her breath - maybe she is worried if the clocks change she is closer to taking her last breath - maybe you should explain to her that she could be further depending if we are springing ahead or falling behind :)
    Hee hee,

    Love you,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this week-end I was at a hockey tournament in Medicine Hat.....I lived through the 1 hour less of sleep and am still trying to catch up. For someone who hardly sleeps (MOM) you would think 1 hour would be crucial for her...lol

    Heather

    ReplyDelete